I think that I was unable to install my Canon printer LBP-1120 due to small errors that I did not notice for a long time.
INSTALLING Canon printer LBP-1120 in 12.04 and 12.10 (and the other Ubuntu-based Linuxes, like Linux Mint 13 and 14)
- Download and install the drivers from here. These are version 2.4. in case of update look up this Ubuntu page.
- Enter the Terminal in root (sudo su).
- "Restarting cups". For deb install this should be
But in 12.10 it is
service cups restart should give the same result). This should give something like:
cups stop/waiting cups start/running, process 2758
- "Register the printer (PPD) with the print spooler."
sudo /usr/sbin/lpadmin -p LBP1120 -m CNCUPSLBP1120CAPTK.ppd -v ccp://localhost:59787 -E
- sudo gedit /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist-cups-usblp.conf
# cups talks to the raw USB devices, so we need to blacklist usblp to avoid # grabbing them # blacklist usblp
- "Register the printer in the ccpd daemon setup file."
/usr/sbin/ccpdadmin -p LBP1120 -o /dev/usb/lp0
- "Start ccpd daemon"
# /etc/init.d/ccpd start
sudo /etc/init.d/ccpd status
to see if you see 2 numbers.
If not, procedure has to be restarted.
If yes, better restart computer. In order to print, start ccpd (
sudo /etc/init.d/ccpd start)and connect printer after that.
Consider these if printing doesn't work:
- connect/start printer after login
/etc/init.d/ccpd statusto see the 2 numbers
sudo /etc/init.d/ccpd startto Start ccpd daemon
If all is ok, the ccpd daemon has to be restarted anyway after restart, so, to make it start automatically with the system:
sudo update-rc.d ccpd defaults
INSTALLING HP LASERJET 1018 PRINTER IN 12.04
In 12.04, the driver is already installed (
hplip) but the printer does not work initially.
Connecting the printer asks for proprietary plugins and opens a terminal procedure that does not seem to work.
So, open the terminal and
This opens a HP GUI installer that does all the job, including adding the printer.